Former MoI Tahiri makes comeback claiming innocent according to Italian court

Tirana Times
By Tirana Times November 1, 2018 09:24

Former MoI Tahiri makes comeback claiming innocent according to Italian court

Story Highlights

  • On Monday, Tahiri told the media, while leaving the serious crimes prosecution, that he had submitted evidence that was crucial to his process.

Related Articles

TIRANA, Nov. 1 – Albania’s former Minister of Interior Saimir Tahiri spoke in a press conference on Thursday morning regarding a document issued by the Italian Catania court which he says proves that he is innocent.

According to Tahiri, the Catania court document asks that investigations towards Tahiri be terminated because there is not enough evidence tying him with narcotics trafficking.

“The prosecutor of the Italian Anti-Mafia and the Prosecutor General of the Republic of Italy, at the conclusion of all investigations, asked the Italian Court to terminate the investigations for Saimir Tahiri because there is no involvement in any illegal activity. The Italian court approved the request of anti-mafia prosecutors and today I hold the court’s decision, which adopts the prosecution’s request to terminate the investigation against me,” Tahiri said.

Tahiri, who is under accusations of being tied to the Habilaj criminal ring in the country since last October while investigations are still ongoing, said that over the last year he has been attacked by every part of Albanian society – ambassadors, journalists, the media and the Albanian political figures.

On Monday, Tahiri told the media, while leaving the serious crimes prosecution, that he had submitted evidence that was crucial to his process.

Tahiri’s press conference brought the immediate reaction of the opposition’s Democratic Party. At another press conference at the DP headquarters, legal expert Gazmend Bardhi said the crimes for which Tahiri was charged and is being investigated were not carried out in Italy, but in Albania and accused Tahiri of threatening judges and prosecutors not to investigate the case.

“The Albanian prosecution has all the evidence that proves beyond all doubt the active involvement of Saimir Tahiri in the protection of the Habilajs and drug trafficking,” Bardhi said.

Tahiri turned into a controversial topic since last year’s October, when Italian police arrested an Albanian-Italian criminal ring led by the Habilaj brothers.

Wiretaps made public in Albania included the Habilaj brothers mentioning Tahiri in their conversation from the time the latter was minister of interior.

The country’s opposition has pushed for Tahiri’s arrest and although a special body has been established to overlook his case, the deadline for the investigation towards him has been continuously postponed.

 

Tirana Times
By Tirana Times November 1, 2018 09:24