Today: Aug 14, 2026

NATO challenges discussed, as U.S. top military official visits

1 min read
11 years ago
Change font size:

TIRANA, July 13 – U.S. Deputy Assistance Defense Secretary Evelyn N. Farkas made a visit to Albania this week, meeting all top military officials, including Defense Minister Mimi Kodheli.

Farkas was part of the delegation that visited Tirana along with Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland.

Recent development in the area of global security in the eastern borders of NATO — developments in Ukraine and its neighbor Russia, but also the region, were part of the talks.

Kodheli said Albania had already committed itself to contribute troops to joint NATO operations for the 2016-2018 period, joining the alliance not only at the operations level but also in command circles. Albania has been a full NATO member since 2008.

They also talked on the developments in Ukraine and Iraq.

Kodheli said Tirana has been clear on its views on the wholeness of Ukrainian territory, and the country has also contributed observers as part of the OSCE monitoring mission. Albania is also offering logistics assistance to the mission.

 

 

Latest from News

SPAK Brings New Charges Against Former Deputy PM Balluku

Change font size: - + Reset Tirana Times, August 07, 2026 — Albania’s Special Prosecution Office Against Corruption and Organized Crime has brought new allegations against former Deputy Prime Minister Belinda Balluku, widening
6 days ago
6 mins read