Today: Aug 20, 2026

Four former port officials accused of corruption

1 min read
12 years ago
Change font size:

TIRANA, May 31 – Albania’s High State Audit has asked prosecutors to launch an investigation on corruption charges for four former senior officials of the Durres port. They are accused of abuse of public funds ranging into millions of euros.
They said that former director and three other senior staff had managed and caused the state about 17 million euro of damage.
The violation was made when giving the concession of part of the property, application of the contracts signed with private subjects and procurement investments.
Fighting corruption remains a top priority for the country in its efforts of democratization and also getting near the European Union.
The new government, in power since mid-September last year, says they have already filed 300 cases to the prosecutor’s offices and are waiting for their results.
Corruption remains post-communist Albania’s Achilles’ heel, experts say.

Latest from News

SPAK Brings New Charges Against Former Deputy PM Balluku

Change font size: - + Reset Tirana Times, August 07, 2026 — Albania’s Special Prosecution Office Against Corruption and Organized Crime has brought new allegations against former Deputy Prime Minister Belinda Balluku, widening
2 weeks ago
6 mins read