TIRANA, May 15 – Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan sent a message Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama late Tuesday to let him know he was delaying a visit to Albania planned for May 14, following a major incident at a mine in western Turkey, where more than 280 people lost their lives, Albanian and Turkish media reported.
Erdogan faces anger at home after the explosion, the worst in Turkey’s history.
Turkish authorities say 787 people were at work during the mining accident and 363 of the miners have been rescued. The accident occurred at the mine in the Soma settlement, Manisa province, located 250 kilometers south of Istanbul. The mine is located at a depth of about two kilometers. A short circuit caused the fire and explosion that led to the mine collapse, according to preliminary data.
Erdogan’s scheduled visit to Albania aimed take bilateral ties to a new level and increase economic ties, sources within the Albanian government told local media.
The report said Tirana may ask for a soft credit from Ankara.
Turkey is a strategic partner for Albania, according to the new cabinet in power since mid-September last year.
Turkish PM cancels Albania visit following deadly mine explosion
Change font size: